Re: Cobol Editor For Windows

From: Jussi Jumppanen (jussij_at_zeusedit.com)
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:53:23 +1000

Joe Zitzelberger wrote:

> With all of the talk about editors lately, I was wondering who
> has really nice stand-alone Cobol editors.

Take a look at the Zeus for Windows programmers editor:

   http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html

> Is there something for Windows that offers Cobol syntax
> highlighting,

Zeus offers Cobol syntax highlighting.

Zeus also has a class browser built around Exuberant Ctags, and
as this tagger has support for Cobol, this should mean the class
browser and intellisensing should work with Cobol.

To test this you need to create a workspace and add the source
files to the Zeus workspace.

> ftp open/save,

Zeus has FTP with support for UNIX, MVS, VM an Windows FTP severs.

Zeus also has SFTP supporting the SSH, SSL/TLS secure FTP protocols.

> copybook awareness, etc that makes editing Cobol source a pleasure?

Not being a Cobol developer I am not sure what this means.

> I sometimes use StarBases CodeWright instead of ISPF Edit. Both are
> fine, but not great.

If run into any problems with Zeus feel free to post a comment on
the Zeus forum:

   http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/index.html

Jussi Jumppanen
Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cobol Editor For Windows
    ... >> Is there something for Windows that offers Cobol syntax ... >Zeus offers Cobol syntax highlighting. ... Most editors will treat ANY text as either language keywords or text. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Visual Cobol
    ... will support the Cobol language: ... The built-in Zeus Cobol configuration will need to be tweaked to ... Zeus for Windows Editor ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Using CVS for a one-man project
    ... > with CompareIt. ... Another option is the Zeus for Windows programmers editor: ... It offers seamless integration with CVS. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: SlickEdit and Realia 3.2
    ... I am guessing you are running a Windows platform. ... the case take a look at the Zeus for Windows editor. ... Zeus can be easily configured to run the compiler within the ... It even comes with Cobol syntax highlighting pre-defined:) ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Wingide is a beautiful application
    ... Have you tried the Zeus for Windows programmers editor: ... Zeus is closed source, but it is also very stable, comes ... with support for Python and you can even write Zeus ... Like all software it also has bugs, ...
    (comp.lang.python)