Re: Supress Option List

bfwd wrote:

Perhaps we will just stick with FCOBOL.

All I can add to what Bill has said, is "Day-um"!

I'm a native Texan, and to hear that an educational institution in Texas may be using the COBOL(F) compiler is like getting hit with a stun gun. Isn't there a "No College Left Behind" program you need to comply with? If that is really and truly the compiler you're using, I'd love to hear your Y2K remediation stories! That sucker is over 40 years old, and has been superceded by perhaps 20 or more later releases. IBM support ended over 30 years ago, I'm sure.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what operating system is being used, on what hardware? (Actually, if you have a new compiler, your shop has to be fairly current in operating system version, or you couldn't run it.)

By the way, I happen to have worked with the project leader whose team created COBOL(F) at IBM around 1964.

I would encourage you and your fellow programmers to embrace the new technology (be forward, if you will, making a play on your e-mail name), and learn how to write much improved application programs. Some of the options I mentioned in my earlier reply provide you with the capability to do things that "old COBOL" never dreamed of.

Converting existing programs won't be that easy, but will be possible. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to reduce the cost of running many of your ancient apps.
.