Re: Cobol books & experiences

No, Richard.

The COBOL/2 name was DEFINITELY "tied in" with the initial OS/2 delivery.
It was available (and ran on) DOS - but the "/2" name was something that IBM
(and Microsoft) were pushing for OS/2 products.

The "VisualAge" product line was introduced about a DECADE after OS/2 (and
COBOL/2).

"Richard" <riplin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> When IBM and Microsoft "split" up (regarding OS/2), Micro Focus provided
>> *both* a "rebadged" COBOL/2 product for IBM *and* the Microsoft COBOL
>> compiler.
>
> Certainly there was an 'IBM Cobol/2' that was a rebadged Microfocus
> Cobol. I recall that it was MF Cobol/2 1.3 around 1989 for PC-DOS. Note
> that MF Cobol/2 has nothing to do with OS/2 (I have MF manuals marked
> Cobol/2 and it is for DOS). For OS/2 the IBM Cobol was VisualAge and
> not MF.
>
>> There was an IBM/Microsoft COBOL compiler *before* COBOL/2 that was not
>> Micro Focus product, but that was before I became involved with Micro
>> Focus
>> (in the late 80's) so I can't tell you who actually developed that
>> product.
>
> Microsoft had written a Cobol for CP/M-80 back in 1980 or so and it
> ported this to MS-DOS in 1982 as version 1. They developed this
> further to version 2. While this was sold for use on IBM PC it was not
> an IBM product.

  • Re: Atheists: Americas most distrusted minority
    ... So does IBM. ... doesn't use illegal tactics to do it as Microsoft did. ... But the flaws of one don't excuse the flaws of another, and Microsoft ... to the antitrust suit filed by RealNetworks this week. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: XP good until 2014 according to Microsoft
    ... Microsoft are open about this. ... One of the consequences of OEMs bundling Windows with every ... So how is MS responsible for dodgy OEMs? ... was never subject to litigation from MS. IBM also agreed to sell CP/ ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • IBM, Canonical/Ubuntu, Novell, Red Hat to Deliver Microsoft-Free Desktops Worldwide
    ... For the first time, IBM and leading Linux distributors Canonical/Ubuntu, ... partners to deliver Microsoft-free personal computing choices with Lotus ... lower cost hardware than new Microsoft technology. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: XP good until 2014 according to Microsoft
    ... However, he is not Microsoft, and policy is devised by a ... Microsoft are open about this. ... So the $8 million that MS paid Spyglass (revised from the ... then about IBM, as you do now about Microsoft, and it is no ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: XP good until 2014 according to Microsoft
    ... Microsoft are open about this. ... pirated version of Windows on it. ... So the $8 million that MS paid Spyglass (revised from the ... about IBM, as you do now about Microsoft, and it is no surprise to ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)