Re: INSPECT and TRAILING syntax

"Karl Kiesel" <Karl.Kiesel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:e41d9j$ovg$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Chuck Stevens" <charles.stevens@xxxxxxxxxx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:e3vhio$1rg9$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I understood the availability of SIZE as an alternative for PICTURE, but
couldn't relate to how CLASS was a syntactic/semantic substitute for
PICTURE. And thus I stand by the question: what functionality does the
class test in the PROCEDURE DIVISION provide that duplicates what PICTURE
provides in the DATA DIVISION sufficient to render the latter
unnecessary?

The 'COBOL-61 extended' report specifies as one of various clauses within
a record description in the data division a CLASS clause with 'FUNCTION:
To indicate the type of data being described' and with a syntax
CLASS IS {ALPHABETIC / NUMERIC / APHANUMERIC /AN} (only keywords within
the brackets are underlined)
and several notes, of which the last says: '6. If a PICTURE is given, the
CLASS clause is unnecessary. If both are used, however, the class of
characters shown in the PICTURE must not contradict the CLASS clause of an
elementary item, or of a group to which the item belongs'

K. Kiesel

Thank you for posting that Karl.

Given that your document and Chuck's both indicate PICTURE was available,
I'm at a loss to account for why we didn't use it. It may have been lack of
understanding on my part at the time or perhaps it was an installlation
standard, I honestly can't remember.

I DO remember learning about PICTURE on an ICL COBOL course in Auckland in
1967.

Pete.

  • Re: INSPECT and TRAILING syntax
    ... I understood the availability of SIZE as an alternative for PICTURE, ... And thus I stand by the question: what functionality does the ... provides in the DATA DIVISION sufficient to render the latter unnecessary? ... record description in the data division a CLASS clause with 'FUNCTION: ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Cut and paste between powerpoint and word 2007 generates pictu
    ... It seems that this functionality is gone (another one I used very often ... edit points: in 2007 it only works on freehand objects, ... copy these objects and paste them in Word: they are pasted as a picture ... since rectangles and arrows are graphic images they have to be ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Red Button HD on FTA Satellite
    ... impossible to get a set with all the functionality of the "smart" TV ... can't think of any reason why it should adversely affect the picture ... I wouldn'y touch Sony with the ... I found the one I have at a surprisingly low price for a 3D set, so I looked around, and found the same one at around £260 more, in the same online shop, and another one, identical but not 3D, at the price I paid for the 3D set. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Red Button HD on FTA Satellite
    ... impossible to get a set with all the functionality of the "smart" TV ... can't think of any reason why it should adversely affect the picture ... quality of 2D or the reliablility. ... I wouldn'y touch Sony with the ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Pretty vs Functional
    ... some controls who's style fit into that picture will do. ... His "logic needs" were rather simple, ... their needs both in the database end and the interface. ... the functionality is created?? ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)