Re: Could this save COBOL?

about OO and the mainframe. There are a number of reasons why I think
OO had a harder time.

1. COBOL, unlike the other languages was not a major part of most
university computer curriculums. Many of the computer science
departments were a part of the mathematics department or spun off from
it. These departments were for the most part interested in solving
different problems that those addressed by the business community.

2. The management of most business IT is not interested in computing
science and is interested in solving business problems without blowing
up the world every time a change is made.

3. The large base of installed code makes change interesting. I was
on the year 2000 project at one company and for many existing systems
they retained 2 digit years because of the difficulty of changing all
the files and data bases. This client also was interested in
replacing their then current application suite but did not have a
guaranteed workable solution. I understand that 6 years later the
client is finally going to be able to cut over to a new application.

3. OO wasn't even available in the IBM arena until the early 1990's
and the support for it had the client on bleeding edge. Indeed the
initial OO support has been replaced by JAVA interfacing.

4. Repository facilities really haven't been available until
relatively recently in the IBM mainframe arena for COBOL until the
past few years and populating a repository again is interesting.

5. While runtime checking of compatibility of parameters passed
between dynamic caller and called modules was requested in the
SHARE/Guide Language Futures Task Force Report in the 1980's, I doubt
there is any such facility even today. This run-time checking is
expensive in an online environment, far less so in batch because it
only has to be done at initial bind.

6. Other mechanisms had evolved to address some of the problems that
OO is used to solve. While they are not as good, the question of
conversion cost becomes a major stumbling block.

7. In the mainframe area, many organizations were looking to replace
existing code with packages, and in many cases to get off the
mainframe. The attitude in many shops was and still is that they will
keeping the old systems limping with minimal improvement until brave
new world takes over which will be soon for some value of soon.
Organizations underestimate the difficulty of replacing even poorly
written applications. The application suite I mentioned in item 3 had
most of the people who worked on it more than willing to contribute
effort to its early demise. Both major rewrite/upgrade and
replacement can be difficult.

8. Especially prior to a few years ago, on many systems the overhead
of added intermodule checking would have killed response time. The
additional overhead of a database and increased I-O before the era of
multi-gigabyte main memory systems also was an inhibitor to converting
to a database.

9. A major change like either database or OO has to have management
interest and understanding. Databases go back to the 1970's and
relational databases to the 1980's. It has taken a long time for the
ideas to penetrate organizations and there has been far greater push
on the part of vendors to educate management on the value of database.
I might also add database is far more necessary on Windows and Unix
systems than traditional mainframes because the former do not have a
native indexed file system while the mainframes did and do. I haven't
seen the comparable push for OO in the business computing environment.

10. I know that I have looked at OO and was interested in it but have
not bothered to learn it because I would have had no opportunity to
apply the knowledge. At age 67, I don't know that I will have such an
opportunity and I suspect that any contracts I get will be because of
my "old world" knowledge. I have not been that interested in Java
because I would be less valuable than someone two years out of school
although I would welcome the opportunity to upgrade a Java based
system. I am far more of an improver and fixer than I am a creator. I
suspect that many of my younger compatriots are in the same situation.

11. Many COBOL programmers and IT managers are brought in from other
departments and their interest in moving up in the organization may
not be in IT. I am not certain that IT is a profession despite what
the Canadian Information Processing Society claims.

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:06:29 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"