Re: The Lambda lambada...Why embedded SQL is becoming irrelevant and why you should start looking at functional programming.

"Alistair" <alistair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On 14 Mar, 01:59, "Pete Dashwood" <dashw...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Many people working in COBOL on both mainframe and Client/Server systems
deal with queries against relational data every day.

Over the years we have become adept with it and can usually get it to do
whatever we want. Most of us are satisfied we have this particular base
covered.

But, there are severe limitations in the "imperative programming"
approach
as implemented by COBOL and other languages where we embed SQL.

If you are interested in where SQL is going, WHY the current approaches
will
not be suitable for emerging architecture, and getting some
straightforward
conceptual information from the horse's mouth, you may find this video
interview of interest..

http://wm.microsoft.com/ms/msdn/visualcsharp/anders_2007_01/Anders_00...

I'd be interested to hear what people here think.

Pete.

OK Pete, two things:

1. what was in the bottle? Cabernet 2006 homebrew?

Funny you should say that, I wondered exactly the same :-) I noticed Charlie
reached for it at the end of the interview, but you were probably asleep by
then :-)

I'll do some image processing and see if I can resolve this... :-)

2. I now have a crease on my forehead due to falling asleep at the
keyboard.

Awww... that crease was there long before you fell asleep :-)

If you don't use SQL a lot then there is no reason why you would follow what
they were saying. There is some jargon (but no more than you normally
encounter in IT).

There are some very exciting ideas in the interview (that's why I posted a
reference here), but they are not exciting unless they relate to what you
are actually doing. If your world is Indexed Sequential datasets, XML is a
mystery to you, the idea of sharing processors across a network is not what
you need in your daily work, or you believe the real "Evil Empire" is
MicroSoft, then this interview won't have much of interest to you.

On the other hand, if you want to get some insight into what goes on in the
head of one of the brightest minds in IT, expressed informally in simple
English, then it's worth a shot.

Luddite.

Maybe... :-)

Or maybe you are comfortable where you are and have no desire to move out of
that zone?

Thanks for commenting, Alistair. I'll get back about the booze... :-)

Pete.

  • SQL Developer Needed Immediately.
    ... I have one urgent SQL Developer position with me. ... requires face to face interview. ... · Expert level SQL skills, ... interested in receiving our e-mails then please reply with a "REMOVE" ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: The Lambda lambada...Why embedded SQL is becoming irrelevant and why you should start looking at
    ... there are severe limitations in the "imperative programming" approach as implemented by COBOL and other languages where we embed SQL. ... If you are interested in where SQL is going, WHY the current approaches will not be suitable for emerging architecture, and getting some straightforward conceptual information from the horse's mouth, you may find this video interview of interest.. ... After viewing the above interview a couple of times I am now understanding why it is important to break away from embedded SQL. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • The Lambda lambada...Why embedded SQL is becoming irrelevant and why you should start looking at fun
    ... Many people working in COBOL on both mainframe and Client/Server systems ... deal with queries against relational data every day. ... If you are interested in where SQL is going, ... The interview with Anders Hejlstrom (who invented C#, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Wed. 2/6, TR 2/7 Big Show Synopses
    ... I fell asleep during her interview. ... She got a hand kiss. ... She reminded me of her mom alot last night. ...
    (alt.fan.letterman)
  • Re: Wed. 2/6, TR 2/7 Big Show Synopses
    ... The goat made me laugh. ... I fell asleep during her interview. ... She got a hand kiss. ...
    (alt.fan.letterman)