Re: Migrating ISAM to Relational Database

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
[snip]
This has now been posted... Accessing the following link will reveal 3
documents that are worth reading if you are considering migrating ISAM to
RDB....

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dashwood/dashwood/RDBStuff/

Any or all feedback appreciated.

In 4.ISAM2RDB.doc,

1. Page 3, Dealing with OCCURS (Repeating Groups),
items 1 and 3. You seem to disregard the space savings
that ODO and RECORD VARYING provide.

2. Page 4, ultimate paragraph. You write "COBOL
supports 3 levels of indexing". That was true of COBOL
'74. COBOL '85 allowed 7 levels.

3. Page 8, Currency data type (in table). You write "This
data TYPE is held as 64 bit floating point ...). MS Access
help states, "Currency variables are stored as 64-bit (8-byte)
numbers in an integer format, scaled by 10,000 to give a
fixed-point number with 15 digits to the left of the decimal
point and 4 digits to the right."

  • Re: Migrating ISAM to Relational Database
    ... documents that are worth reading if you are considering migrating ISAM to ... Unless COBOL dynamically allocates space (and it ... I honestly don't know what ISAM2RDB does with these constructs. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Add 4 20 digit numbers in C
    ... 20 digit integers and return the sum back to the COBOL program. ... The reason that COBOL has a limit of 18 digits is because the data ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Old broken COBOL programs from the 70s and 80s
    ... the 'dates in which years were expressed in two digits'. ... packages such as SAP and Peoplesoft. ... Y2K was an unrecoverable loss of confidence in Cobol culture .. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: COBOL format definitions?
    ... I'm not a COBOL programmer at all, but I am starting to work with data ... that was given to me with a COBOL field format listing. ... Barb, understanding PIC defintions is a non-trivial undertaking. ... If the PIC contains ONLY digits and a "V," allow one byte for each ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Long numbers programming
    ... the powers of a number to see what patterns there are, ... It's not in COBOL, but if you go to my web site at ... (easily expandable to more digits). ... (Although you are of course free to ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)