Re: Migrating ISAM to Relational Database

On 16 Apr, 21:10, "William M. Klein" <wmkl...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
As far as "hard facts" go (and this is for ONE specific compiler - which is a
couple of releases old - on one platform), you can check out the "performance
tuning" paper for Enterprise COBOL at:

Performance considerations for fixed-length vs variable-length tables:

using variable-length tables is 5% slower then using a fixed-length table
using a variable-length table that references the first complex ODO element
is 7% slower then using a fixed-length table
using a variable-length table that references a complex ODO element other
than the first is 140% slower then using a fixed-length table"

***

Note well:
This implementation DOES support the "non-Standard" complex ODO's where ODO's
can be nested (under fixed or ODO OCURS) and where data can follow an ODO in the
same record. I *believe* that this is what adds SOME of the overhead.

Thanks Bill, I think 7 % is acceptable but 140 % is not.

.