Re: (OT) The desktop supercomputer has arrived!

On 12 Jul, 03:27, LX-i <lxi0...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alistair wrote:
On 11 Jul, 00:10, LX-i <lxi0...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Trying to see how many OT posts I can post in one day...

Pete Dashwood wrote:

Stem cell research is a perfect example of this. There are powerful
arguments on both sides, but if you have a kid who could be saved by it, you
are less likely to be persuaded by the arguments against it.
This is such a contentious issue because its various facets are not
accurately publicized. For example, there are several types of source
tissue for stem cell research. All but one (aborted embryos) aren't
contentious at all. Coincidentally, adult stem cells and cord blood
stem cells *have* shown promise, while embryonic stem cells have not,
and have the baggage of being in existence because of abortion.

Then you will be pleased to know that stem cells can now be created by
inserting nucleii from other cells into oocytes.

Do they behave the same way as "embryonic" stem cells do?

So far yes. It appears to be a promising line of research (And I can't
remember where I saw it but probably on the BBC News or Scientific
American web sites).

Then, there's the matter of who's going to pay for it. The most
contentious issue in this country has been *Federal* funding for
*embryonic* stem cell research. A lot of folks feel that the government
implicitly (at best) supporting abortion isn't a good idea.

And who funds the research is not important; if the issue is unethical/
immoral then it should not be funded by anyone.

Ah, but there's the rub of this "freedom" thing. While I disapprove of
abortion, I also am pragmatic to realize that with or without embryonic
stem cell research, there are going to be aborted embryos on which to
experiment. However, if there is Federal funding, then the government
is basically approving of the procedure. And what happens if they "run
out" of raw materials?

I hope I've expressed that clearly - it's a fine line. Basically, I'm
not trying to impose my morals on "them"; by the same token, I don't
want my government (and my tax dollars funding) imposing "their" morals
on me.

Fine by me. Although it would be immoral of me to impose my
(im)morality upon you.

  • Pelny text of Vatican new instructions on Bioethics
    ... The dignity of a person must be recognized in every human being ... introduced in the critical area of human life and the family have ... embryos and the human genetic patrimony. ... research on embryonic stem cells and its ...
    (soc.culture.polish)
  • Full ext of Dignitatis Personae
    ... The dignity of a person must be recognized in every human being ... introduced in the critical area of human life and the family have ... embryos and the human genetic patrimony. ... research on embryonic stem cells and its ...
    (soc.culture.usa)
  • Cloning Said to Yield Human Embryos
    ... Cloning Said to Yield Human Embryos ... Scientists at a small biotechnology company say they have used cloning ... embryonic stem cells that could be used for medical treatments. ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • Re: Plan to create human-cow embryos
    ... UK scientists have applied for permission to create embryos by fusing ... Stem cells are the body's master cells and five-day-old embryos are ... The problem is that human eggs for research are in short supply and to ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • =?windows-1252?Q?WHAT=92S_NEW___Robert_L=2E_Park__?= =?windows-1252?Q?_Friday=2C_28_Aug_10__
    ... STEM CELLS: ... One or more of the resulting embryos will be transferred to the ... MORE ON DEUTSCHE PHYSIK AND PHILIPPE LENARD. ... Noack did his thesis at the University of Heidelberg with J.H. Jensen ...
    (sci.physics)