Re: Code problems with Perform Thru Exit causes fall through

In article <agkka3ph61ds71r14m9hvoaafus4se21o4@xxxxxxx>, Howard Brazee <howard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:44:16 GMT, spambait@xxxxxxxxxx (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Being lazy and not wanting to do this type of checking I avoid all
need for it by using code that never requires it. ie No SECTIONs, no
GOTO, no THRU, no EXIT PERFORM/PARAGRAPH/SECTION, no NEXT SENTENCE.

Agree completely.

Me too.

Scope terminators have completely removed the need for NEXT
SENTENCE. And anybody who uses SECTIONs in the Procedure Division should be
shot.

Please don't shoot me. I have to use IDMS copy statements that were
coded with sections.

Well, that's not your fault -- as long as you didn't write them. :-)

Back when SORT required statements

Yeah, there is that exception, too. Not much choice there.

I started
having a.

REST-OF-THE-PROGRAM SECTION.

I still use that when adding paragraphs to programs with sections.

Same here -- same name, even. :-)

Besides the problems mentioned in the previous message, I am irritated
with the following code:
PERFORM MY-SECTION THRU MY-SECTION-EXIT.
MY-SECTION.
MY-PROGRAM.
MY-SECTION-EXIT.
EXIT.

I've seen a few like that before, too. Always wondered what the heck was the
point.

--
Regards,