Re: OT:Thanksgiving

"Robert" <no@xxxxxx> wrote:
"HeyBub" <heybub@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert wrote:

Explain why the murder rate in non-penalty states is 40% lower than
the rate in death penalty states -- 4.22 versus 5.9 per 100K
population.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=168
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=169

You may have it backwards; because the murder rate is so high, those states
are doing everything they can to discourage killing, including
disenfranchisement.

This is called circular logic. The conclusion is supposed to follow from the premise, not
the other way around.

I say smoking prevents lung cancer. When you ask me to explain why smokers get more of it,
I answer look how much more cancer there would be if they didn't smoke. That proves I was
right.

Fallacious logic; you are leaving out intent and Occam's Razor. People
pass laws to address problems. Laws were passed to disenfranchise
felons for the same reason felons are incarcerated: to reduce crime. It
is not logical to assume the laws were simply passed, then people became
more felonious, because you then have to come up with a reason for them
becoming more felonious. I.e. violation of Occam's Razor.
--
Judson McClendon judmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

  • Re: OT: Re: 4-16-07 V. Tech Massacre
    ... Improved gun control is *part* of the solution, ... has a very low murder rate, so it would seem that laws prohibiting the ... descendant of a woman who used a firearm to protect herself and her two ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Australias Gun Laws: Little Effect
    ... So it appers the gun control laws haven't affected the murder rate, ... More wriggling from odiousfart. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: OT: Re: 4-16-07 V. Tech Massacre
    ... As for 'fixing' the problem with new gun laws, ... control laws than the U.S. yet a much higher murder rate (like two and half ... presence of firearms do not equate to low murder rates. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: OT: Re: 4-16-07 V. Tech Massacre
    ... As for 'fixing' the problem with new gun laws, ... control laws than the U.S. yet a much higher murder rate (like two and half ... presence of firearms do not equate to low murder rates. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Can somebody please help JohnJohnsn out?
    ... along with a one third drop in the murder rate over that ... strict licensing laws than Canada and Australia." ... new coach, the other retains its coach and both teams keep all their ... "indicate dissociation between firearm violence and legislative approaches ...
    (talk.politics.guns)