Re: OT:Thanksgiving

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:33:13 -0500, SkippyPB
<swiegand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So voting isn't an inalienable right. I suppose neither are life and
liberty if they can be taken away from us with due process. They
must also be privileges.

Voting, is not an inalienable right. The only inalienable rights
defined in our constitution are those defined by the first amendment.

The Declaration of Independence discusses inalienable rights. The
first amendment doesn't seem any more inalienable than other
amendments - and in fact, as with all of them, some limitations have
been deemed reasonable. (Someone in solitary confinement can't
peacefully assemble with his other adherents to practice his religious
requirement of human sacrifice).

  • Re: OT:Thanksgiving
    ... must also be privileges. ... Voting, ... defined in our constitution are those defined by the first amendment. ... The Declaration of Independence discusses inalienable rights. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: McCain couldnt lead flies to fresh dog shit
    ... utter contempt for the First Amendment which he demonstrated through ... So you're voting for Obama, then, huh? ... I'm voting against McCain. ... on who can speak during a federal election and how they can speak. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Towards a resolution . . .
    ... Creator with inalienable rights in the same document that ends with a ... What's more interesting is looking for references to a Creator, ... religion in the first amendment? ... Stan pointing to it. ...
    (rec.scouting.issues)
  • Re: McCain couldnt lead flies to fresh dog shit
    ... utter contempt for the First Amendment which he demonstrated through ... the McCain-Feingold Act and his at best lukewarm support of the Second ... So you're voting for Obama, then, huh? ...