Re: OT:Thanksgiving

In article <i37bl35ea0pbcd1j8067n9obndul6khbdv@xxxxxxx>, Howard Brazee <howard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:57:19 GMT, spambait@xxxxxxxxxx (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Besides drugs, another illustration of the point is homosexual contact, in
private, between consenting adults. As a heterosexual, politically
conservative, practicing Roman Catholic, I find such behavior abhorrent. But
as a firm believer in limited government, I also find abhorrent any effort to
make it a criminal act: it produces no demonstrable harm to anyone except
(perhaps) the individuals directly involved; moreover, law enforcement cannot
procure evidence of the "crime" without committing a clear violation of their
privacy rights. Criminalizing *any* sexual behavior carried out in private
between any number of consenting adults is both crazy and wrong, for the same
reason that criminalizing the simple possession or private consumption of
drugs is also both crazy and wrong: the people involved are harming no one
except themselves. Since we as society are neither harmed nor endangered by
that behavior, we need no "protection" from it, and cannot justify any
sanctions taken against those who engage in it.

Also if you follow Roman Catholic values, you might find that people
who are just as interested in anti-homosexual laws as they are for
anti-abortion laws are weakening their arguments against abortion.

I'm not sure where you're going with that; please clarify.

--
Regards,

  • Re: OT:Thanksgiving
    ... conservative, practicing Roman Catholic, I find such behavior abhorrent. ... Criminalizing *any* sexual behavior carried out in private ... between any number of consenting adults is both crazy and wrong, ... anti-abortion laws are weakening their arguments against abortion. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: OT:Thanksgiving
    ... conservative, practicing Roman Catholic, I find such behavior abhorrent. ... Criminalizing *any* sexual behavior carried out in private ... between any number of consenting adults is both crazy and wrong, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: TXSB No. 1164 - AN ACT relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of ins
    ... if it's open to the PUBLIC,then there are certain laws they must accept,be ... They are NOT truly "private" property if they are open to the public. ... The only part I disagree with is allowing the government to ban. ... WHY do they continue to believe that it's going to be different on campus? ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: TXSB No. 1164 - AN ACT relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of ins
    ... Stephan Rothstein wrote in ... if it's open to the PUBLIC,then there are certain laws they must accept,be ... They are NOT truly "private" property if they are open to the public. ... The only part I disagree with is allowing the government to ban. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: TXSB No. 1164 - AN ACT relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of ins
    ... They are NOT truly "private" property if they are open to the public. ... That should be up to the owner of the business. ... (nonsmoking laws I consider to be workplace and public safety laws) ... On campus, I agree. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)