Re: working storage values

On Dec 18, 11:21 am, Alistair <alist...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14 Dec, 05:54, Richard <rip...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 14, 1:11 pm, docdw...@xxxxxxxxx () wrote:

Of course search is available in every text editor. Grep however will
search all files specified (for example where the search is for a file
field usage) without having to bother with using an editor to open
each file. Of course the result of a grep can be piped into the
editor so that the files can be accessed directly by tapping on the
provided file names.

Regrettably, GREP is not available to non-Unix systems. Some of us
don't have the luxury of using the new-fangled tools to which you have
access.

grep certainly is available wherever there is a C compiler. Just
download some source code. It is even available prebuilt for CP/M, MS-
DOS, Windows, Mac, Atari. and dozens of others.

I don't understand IBM OS but would have thought that OS/390 Unix
System Services may be like some services that would run on OS/390.

But regardless of how the search is done the use of 88s may mean that
multiple greps/searches are required.

What, can't you combine GREP searches? Shame thet EGREP and FGREP
don't work either. That's so 1980s.

Well, of course you can combine them ,that is why I had put "multiple
greps/searches" where it could be done with multiple greps or multiple
searches [in one grep].

  • Re: Can I Grep multiple lines??
    ... Tad McClellan wrote: ... If the elements of that list contain multiple lines, then grep() ... linux% perl test.pl ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Need help with parser unix script
    ... grep -A1 ... but in case multiple lines matched, ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: Can I Grep multiple lines??
    ... grepfilters a list. ... If the elements of that list contain multiple lines, then grep() ... Fort Worth, Texas ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Can I Grep multiple lines??
    ... We're talking about a pattern that takes multiple lines to match. ... If the elements of that list contain multiple lines, then grep() ... But if the pattern you're searching for is spread over several ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: GUI front-end archiver
    ... >> front of a computer while it is doing backups. ... use Emacs or vi to prune the list. ... "grep" before firing up the editor.) ... a powerful and convenient editor (i.e. Emacs and/or vi or their ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)