Re: COBOL Compiler for Windows

On May 3, 7:42 am, Alistair <alist...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 29 Apr, 06:44, Richard <rip...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Apr 29, 4:11 pm, Graham Hobbs <gho...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,
Further questions please..
Do the MS and Fujitsu compilers support VSAM KSDS files? What about

What do you mean by 'support' ? You are unlikely to find a VSAM KSDS
file on Windows. Windows is not MVS or zOS. It does, however, have
Cobol INDEXED SEQUENTIAL files.

DB2 access, CICS access, guess I'm asking EXEC CICS suchandsuch

Winows does not normally run a CICS service. CICS is not part of
Cobol, though normally Cobol programs are used in a CICS service.

and
EXEC SQL suchandsuch.

SQL service is also not part of Cobol. Most SQL is achieved with a
different product, such as a preprocessor, that converts the EXEC SQL
lines into Cobol CALLs and such.

Fujitsu version 3 does not include (AFAIK) SQL. Later versions of
Fujitsu do support ODBC access through a limited set of EXEC SQL
statements. You can always write the appropriate CALL statements.

If you had bought the Fujitsu v3 compiler then there would have been
ODBC compatibility (similar to DB2 and using SQL).

I have now checked and the Fujitsu version 3 available for download
does not include ODBC or SQL. The syntax may be in the compiler but
the libraries required are not included (see webpage).

I did actually buy version 3 (very cheaply) after having several free
betas and I even bought a set of printed manuals. The copy I had
included Windows 3.1 compilers and stuff.

The SQL in Fujitsu is not for arbitrary SQL but is a subset that is
directly supported by the compiler. For example you cannot do a 'EXEC
SQL CREATE TABLE ...'.

Fujitsu and Microfocus do support ODBC and SQL. Microfocus also has
CICS and JCL emulators available (at a price). DB2 can be obtained for
free from IBM and runs on the pc under windows.

To save opening up another thread, VSAM can be emulated on the pc
(albeit with z/390 Assembler by Don Higgins).

  • Re: Inexpensive COBOL Compiler
    ... The original message specified use of the compiler under windows XP.I have ... Fujitsu version 4 as well as numerous copies of version 3 from books.I have ... documentation for Kobol is terrible and I cannot find any help on Google,but ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: COBOL Compiler for Windows
    ... Do the MS and Fujitsu compilers support VSAM KSDS files? ... SQL service is also not part of Cobol. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: COBOL Compiler for Windows
    ... Do the MS and Fujitsu compilers support VSAM KSDS files? ... Cobol, though normally Cobol programs are used in a CICS service. ... SQL service is also not part of Cobol. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Resolved: NOT (w/ informal proof). --Was Re: Static vs. Dynamic typing (big advantage or not)
    ... > of time what columns might be in the tuple until the SQL is written. ... In a language such as Ada, where the compiler checks a great ... That same language needs to be able to interface with utility ... The wise software ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: updating through a loop statement
    ... We are talking about T-SQL, ... There is a WHILE loop in T-SQL ... Does the T-SQL compiler unroll a WHILE ...