Re: cobol: it's everywhere... but going...Google Maps!

In article <7mv7g7F3fc1d2U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
docdwarf@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
In article <7mrhvsF3i0o3cU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Don't talk to me, talk to Howard, he said it. I let it pass,
although my experience matches yours in this regard... :-) (That
calendar is getting marks all over it... :-))

It may be a joyful time, then... no need for grouchy marks.

Swordfish.

Hey, that's how you're supposed to leave a speakeasy, not enter one!

[snip]

Certainly
there isn't much around in OO that has been running for DECADES
(Gosling and the Sun Green Team only got together 14 years ago), but
there is certainly stuff that has been running satisfactorily for
ONE decade (and shows no signs of not continuing to do so. )

A whole decade... did you know, Mr Dashwood, that I've seen newborn
human children who showed absolutely no signs of puberty or
associated secondary sexual characteristics for a whole decade?
Amazing what the difference a year or three can make in a person, a
discipline or a computer language.

Well there is certainly computer code around that can be described as
"hairy" but whether that is the effect of puberty or not remains in doubt...

A more hirsute appearance is but one manifestation of that particular
stage, Mr Dashwood... increases in growth and strength are also
encountered and long-bone ends change, as well. What enters as a child
becomes, with a bit of luck, a mature adult... but that might bring things
back around to 1Cor.XIII:11.

[snip]

You don't actually need to have "a large up-front investment in
specs, conferences, designs, redesigns, unit testing and parallel
testing" in order to get something useful and reliable; that is just
ONE way to achieve it.

One doesn't need years of practise tossing darts to score a
bull's-eye, either, Mr Dashwood... but in many cases it certainly
does appear to help.

Practise is usually good for most things. The trick is to be able to
evaluate the effects of practise and decide how the practise could be
improved, rather than just maintaining the same practise regimen because
"that's how we've always done it".

Hmmmm... this seems to be a call for experimentation, Mr Dashwood, and a
request for such is, in the small bits of the Business World I have seen,
often a dicey matter; it is the constant struggle between 'Let's spend
time and money seeing what we can do better' and 'if it ain't broke, don't
fix it.' I do not claim to have or know of a reconciliation between the
two.

DD

  • Re: COBOL is Number One
    ... Pete Dashwood wrote: ... What you posit is not so much a shift from gas- to other-powered lighting ... And that is why COBOL probably won't be part of it. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: help with tables
    ... Pete Dashwood wrote: ... I knew a fellow who took a job writing COBOL for New York ... world beyond New York City. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: OT: The Indian phone scam
    ... Pete Dashwood wrote: ... If I had a dollar for every time I heard 'Wow, that backup stuff you ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Quick COBOL Assignment Needing Done ASAP!! $$$
    ... For the groups I get assigned to, Mr Dashwood, it usually means 'tin-cans ... Now, Mr Doakes, I will not question what you told me... ... Not good to undress tech lead in public... ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: OT: Military Ranks/Computers : WAS Re: newbie question on cobol syntax
    ... Pete Dashwood wrote: ... It is always difficult when the country is at war. ... the Democrats and the Republicans... ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)