Re: Bloomberg joins the Learn to Code hype

In article <9mulldFjihU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alistair Maclean wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:33 am, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alistair Maclean wrote:
So now that mayor Bloomberg and tens of thousands others are
learning to code I presume that rates are going to plummet. Even
Pete will be out in the cold.

Without a reference, it is hard to know what this refers to,
Alistair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16440126

[snip]

Over the last few years it has been interesting to see the general public's
awareness of computing shifting focus from the desktop to the Web. People
who hear I am involved with computers automatically think I develop Web
Sites (which I do, but that isn't primarily what I'm doing.) Social
networking has pervaded the lives of most people (not me...:-)), from kids,
to Grandparents wanting to keep in touch with their offspring's offspring,
and it is all accomplished via the Web. There is a generation growing up who
simply don't recognise a desktop application; it is all cloud based web
stuff.

In this context it really isn't so foolish to learn Javascript.

In the context of 'No, we do not keep the names of the last ten high
scorers, we keep every transaction against every account for the past (n)
decades. This is done because it is Federal law.' it starts to get...
dicey.

Architects design single-family houses, architects design multi-family
dwellings, architects design buildings large enough to have their own
postal codes. The difference in quantity can make for a difference in
quantity; I would not like to be working on a hundred-story highrise and
hear a Corner-Office Idiot snarl 'Well, *I* don't see why you can't (x)...
*I* know it can be done and I've designed some *lovely* vacation
cottages!'

I was taught - and, some might say, frequently demonstrate - that 'a
little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. Whether a weekly lesson by email
in Javascript is more 'a little knowledge' might be for others to
determine.

[snip]

It is easy for us to sit back and say:" Well, learning a language doesn't
make you a programmer." No, it doesn't, but it is a step in the right
direction and if you write enough code, eventually you will find ways to
write it better.

Of course... no need to read the works of others, no need to speak with
like-minded folks, no need for (Heaven forbid!) innate talent, just do
enough of it and *you* will find ways to do it better.

[snip]

It is just possible that in my own lifetime I will see computing for the
masses, with people taking control of their devices and without the
mysterious veil that could only be penetrated by the priests of COBOL...:-)
I have wanted this since 1965, so it is kind of pleasing to see things
moving that way.

This week, programming... next week, Rocket Surgery and Brain Science!
There was a time when programmers had to use wires... or
machine-language... or Assembley... or a third-generation language, etc.
What coders has always had a need for a slight command of is 'the logical
process'.

DD

.