Re: Where are protected members list?

On Jun 21, 10:04 am, "alangll...@xxxxxxx" <alangll...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
You would usually find that in the Help file. But from Rudy's comment
that appears to not be supplied. One should be able to find the
declaration in the source code (if one has a Delphi version which
provides the source).

But the Windows Search facility to find object declarations might not
be implemented. Certainly with Delphi 3 & Windows XP it was not
implemented for me. I had to make an entry in the Registry to enable
Windows searches of .pas & .dpr files as text files (otherwise Windows
would not know how to search those files). Later Delphi install
procedure may do this in the installation code.

DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

Telling Windows that file may be searched as text files involves
running a .reg file with the following entries ...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dpr\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pas\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

DON'T DO THE ABOVE UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

Alan Lloyd

Thanks for your suggestion. My Delphi has source code and I can find
the declaration for TCustom... classes, but my main question is that
how can a component writer inherit his new classes while he doesn't
know the functionality of the ancestor class's protected methods?
Maybe there is another way I'm not aware of it???
.