Re: Field captions from MS Access

I know that one. Unfortunately it returns the description and not the
Caption.

Peter

"Brian Bushay TeamB" <BBushay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

MS Access offers the possibility to specify a caption for each field in
the
field definition. I'm writing a Delphi program that accesses an MS Access
database through ADO. I'd like to assing the captions as definied in the
database to the DisplayLabel property of the TField components in Delphi.
Is
there a way to do it? I Already tried Fields.Properties (from ADO) and
OpenSchema, but that doesn't give me the information. Any clues?
If you import the ADOX type library you can get at the description with
code
like this
Use ADOX:

var
Column: _Column;
fCatalog : Catalog;
begin

fCatalog := CoCatalog.Create;
fCatalog._Set_ActiveConnection(ADOConnection.ConnectionString);
Column := fCatalog.Tables['tablename'].Columns['columnname'];
strColProp := Column.Properties['Description'].Value;

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbushay@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Is there a maximum size of field caption property in a table?
    ... There are usually multiple possible design solutions. ... ComponentTypeID jumper block, connector, ... ... BLOBs), and properties such as Format, Caption, and Description that don't ... > be in the database than what is in this table. ...
  • Re: Changing Switchboard Textbox Title Via Text Document
    ... The general principle is the same however you do this. ... in the frontend of your database create a new table ... the literal string "caption" in the ctl_item field ... Then in your switchboard in the code behind the form put the following ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: field alias
    ... Display Caption property in the Table Designer window to 'Dept. name' or ... This caption will be use in Browse windopws and as ... Open with MODIFY STRUCTURE or through the database Designer and you can make ...
  • DefaultValue and Caption in Dataset Designer
    ... possibly workaround) why the DefaultValue and the Description (Caption) ... values dont come across to the dataset from a given database. ... database level not at the application level and it seems like poor ... very poor design. ...
  • Re: Retrieving table field properties
    ... > properties like caption, description etc ... Description is exposed by the Jet ... the database: Jet is the database. ... Most of the other column properties can be read using ADOX, ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)