hyperthreading vs multithreading

Hello,

I'm porting my app to multithreading (for the multi-core processor).
For the moment I detect the number of core like this :

function NumberOfCPUs: integer;
var
si: TSystemInfo;
begin
GetSystemInfo(si);

result := si.dwNumberOfProcessors;
end;

but For Proc with hyperthreading it will detect only one Proc, so I don't use multithreading.

Would it be interesting to use Multithreading with mono core processor that do have Hyperthreading also ?
I don't know it hyperthreading is just a marketting term or is there's really a gain.

Thanks for your help.

John

  • Re: intel cpus
    ... core clock speed, times the number of cores present. ... If you are interested in overclocking, ... requires a discussion of multithreading ... use things like the Tomshardware benchmarks, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: threading
    ... > Also in the Java language we have the capability for multithreading. ... > Now I have a fairly good idea of what mulithreading and hyperthreading are ... > buying a laptop soon) do I need a hyperthreading enabled laptop in order ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: about multithreading
    ... Multithreading in MATLAB only takes advantage of actual physical cores, ... hyperthreading and should probably be disabled on a single core hypertheaded ... overestimating the number of cores on an Intel ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: 3DMark Vantage CPU score - how reliable for a speed rating?
    ... Does this mean that my system will be three times faster for ... Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 $1069.00 Product details Tom's Hardware ... Multithreading is the key. ... The SuperPI benchmark is available here. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Intel might revive Hyperthreading with Nehalem
    ... I'm guessing that this will be true hardware multithreading as opposed ... various inefficiencies to improve performance... ... prior to Intel showing up with Hyperthreading -- has been about a processor with twice the execution units than its single-threaded counterpart. ... Intel's Hyperthreading was the first I'd heard about instead of doubling the number of execution units, you just exploit the inefficiencies of the existing execution units. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)