Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird

From: Martijn Tonies (m.tonies_at_upscene.removethis.nospam.com)
Date: 03/18/05

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:04:38 +0100

> > As most people use TCP/IP to connect to Firebird, and Firebird
> > has a sort of "ping" when it comes to connections, I guess as soon
> > as the socket is being closed, the "ping" would fail and Firebird
> > would mark the connection as "closed". Now, this ping thingy is
> > configurable so that might make a difference as well.
> >
> Suppose the workstation is still alive, but the app crashed. Wouldn't
> the ping still be successful, even though the db connection is beyond
> recovery?

No, it wouldn't - the "check alive" command tries the command
at the port it was using for the connection. As the port has been
closed, it will be "disconnected".

--
With regards,
Martijn Tonies

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Good wireless signal - but browser cannot find it?
    ... But when I gave the command to see the route table, ... But his browser cannot find any connection and displays the error page ... The firewall is Norton - but disabling it temporarily made no difference. ... ping resolver1.opendns.com ...
  • Re: Emails stuck in queue error 451 4.4.0 Primary target IP addres
    ... command didn't come in until after the connection, ... ISP's original comment that we must be blocking port 25 outbound cannot be ... Telnet command" in your first response after asking me to carry out the ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.misc)
  • Re: No internet access
    ... > If I ping an external IP address or external DNS/FQDN then the ping times ... > connection to host on port 80: ... Is there a Proxy Server or other proxy in the path? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: OT: FTP probs
    ... 425 Could not open data connection to port 46289: ... This is controlled by the client. ... Unix clients can be (passv command?). ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Question on network programming.
    ... three, two, or even just one connection between each client and the ... central server. ... > IP and only one port??? ... > It seem to me that FTP uses only port 21 for command and data transfer. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)