Re: Thinking Clearly

I.P. Nichols wrote:

Barry's comment was made in the context of Tom Wilk's rejection of .NET as
".NET is a "marketing phantom" for Delphi developers!"

Yeah, but I thought the response was a little bit OTT in
terms of insinuating that you would be stuck in a some GUI
ghetto if you stayed with native code. There are /always/
options and they don't have to be crummy one's either :-)

I'm actually more interested in WPF/e at this juncture myself ;-)

As for using WPF interoperability with C++/Win32, It would seem that since MS C++ in Visual Studio now allows mixing managed code with Win32, things would be much more straightforward than when trying to do the same in Delphi/Win32.

I remember seeing an entry on Nick Kramer's blog about doing this
kind of thing with Delphi :

http://blogs.msdn.com/nickkramer/archive/2005/11/07/489680.aspx

If it's possible through a bit of hacking then more formal support
for it should not be that much of an issue...even if it isn't
DevCo themselves actually offering it, I have no doubt that the
Delphi community would step into the breach.

AFAIK DevCo has been silent on the possibility of Delphi supporting this kind of mixed mode managed/Win32 and the WPF interoperability model. OTOH all things are possible but it may be wise to not hold your breath in expectation of it happening. <g>

I just hope that the apparent Borland approach of looking to busk
along on the back of what .NET offers is simply /never/ going to fly
and that DevCo is fully aware of it...

  • Re: Captain Jakes Top Ten List of what Id like to see in thenextversionofDelphi
    ... future on continuing native code. ... and even the pending ones from DevCo. ... MS with BDS. ... What I'm saying is that Borland's .NET strategy with Delphi is failing. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: need clarification
    ... > As it goes right now, Delphi is heading towards a .NET state. ... using Win32 Delphi aren't necessarily interested in Win32, but Native code. ... Innovation will continue outside of .NET. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Best Blog Entry in Years
    ... the customers tell me they want to run in a safe environment as .NET code. ... Mixed mode compiler does not help here - and I do not want to rewrite all ... There is no different paradigm between native code and .NET code ... Strikes me as counter intuitive - if you have a large code base in Delphi ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: God I Love Delphi7
    ... > of my original complaints about .Net was that you had to write to darn ... > said that Delphi is bad or not as productive as coding in .Net. ... With the difference that *MS* did create dotNET, ... *will* have to run in native code, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Why arent you upgrading?
    ... -Allow for export of managed interfaces so Delphi code can be given to ... true upgrade. ... Unless Delphi shifts it's focus back to native code, ... can't see a reason to upgrade, as far as .NET goes, I thought we'd be ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)