Re: Wild speculations about the "other" factors

Bob Dawson wrote:
I agree, and I think that's a crucial difference to Kylix as a 'porting'
comparison. MS still clearly intends .NET to become the default desktop
environment for 'rich' clients, whereas neither Java nor Linux seem able to
break into that market in more than niche pockets.

The core competitive differentiator that Delphi for .NET offers is the
ability to migrate code between Win32 and .NET. The WPF story looks to
be more of the same. It's a Delphi *port* to .NET.

But let's suppose that WPF makes .NET the default desktop environment.
What will Delphi offer in such a case that makes it significantly
better? Now, remember that WPF is larger than just VS.NET, it involves
MS' Expression product and WPF/E as well.

Will DevCo attempt to build an Expression clone? Doubtful and probably
not the best approach. So here we have more than just classic .NET
developer tools, we have the designer tools as well. I can't imagine MS
not offering them together in a synergistic package. Which vendor do
you think most companies are going choose for this kind of work?

But that's simply going to take a while. MS has always overestimated it's
ability to push OS transitions.

Indeed; which is why IMO, the priority of the native enhancements should
be higher than what I perceive them to be.

Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Looking for BASIC compiler
    ... > VB-NET offers an environment that is similar to VB-6. ... > is that there are a large number of books available for it. ... > used by VB, REALbasic, or Delphi. ...
  • Re: There is no market for a Delphi for .NET compiler
    ... fact some were great examples of why WPF may never succeed. ... presentations were made by several WinFX developers but only two got me ... Designers than Developers. ... Not speaking about Delphi for .NET just yet, ...
  • Re: Delphi refocussing on .Net - good or bad?
    ... I'll just say that we're in a position to address them, so I'd just ask you and other Delphi developers to work with us on them going fwd. ... Letting it die in a shroud of silence wasn't acceptable then, and laughing about it now, well, it's not reciprocated. ... Seeing the Delphi Product Manager ignore people's requests for making the undocked layout work, and instead focusing in finding a way to get them to adopt the docked layout, is frustrating. ... As far as "more and more people use the docked environment" - few people use any 3rd party tools, either - they tend to use whatever comes in the box, out of the box. ...
  • Re: JSON Serialisation
    ... late and it seems like a cool way to handle objects as strings. ... by Delphi that I could use? ... JavaScript on the other hand, ... you can make a basic environment object accept values that are ...
  • Re: Comparison about Win32 / DotNet / CSharp on Delphi, and a wish ...
    ... having your existing Delphi based kbmMW application server applications etc. ... We also write them in Delphi 2006. ... environment is very bad if you use both W32 and .NET.(Because all modules ... Why did you kill the Delphi? ...