Re: Boy, this Installaware is a disk hog...

The problem CodeGear have is that lots of companies mandate
you to have an MSI based installer so that they can push
installs out to all computers silently (Our IT dept does
this all the time and we never see it).
Innosetup doesn't do this so some companies won't use apps
produced with it.
I assume that this is why CodeGear use InstallAware - it's
either that or Wise/InstallShield and I know which one I'd
prefer :)
Personally I use InnoSetup but my customers haven't
requested MSI installs.....yet
Pete

"Jan Derk" <none@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
David Farrell-Garcia wrote:

My total InsallAware Studio 6.5 folder is 1.2GB. That
does not seem
like to big a disk cost for a build/development machine
for your
installer, but that is just my opinion.

I just checked and the InnoSetup program files folder with
all demos
contains 3.67MB of files. That is few hundred times
smaller and it does
everything I expect from an installer.

My guess is that CodeGear will find out in a few years how
cool
InnoSetup is and that it is the installation tool of
choice (perharps
together with NSIS) if you don't want to litter your
customer's systems
with GigaBytes of bloat like D2007 and InstallAware do.

Jan Derk

  • Re: An alternative to Product Activation
    ... dongles will be regarded as a serious option by Codegear. ... Either the user could provide a username and password at the ... which is somehow embedded into the installer prior ... to download, or Codegear would generate them for you (probably the ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • RE: Creating Installer or Executable in Python
    ... ..EXE installers. ... Also note that you should build an MSI installer e.g. using InnoSetup ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Creating Installer or Executable in Python
    ... Also note that you should build an MSI installer e.g. using InnoSetup ... after applying py2exe. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Create Installations on the fly
    ... InnoSetup compiler. ... For a special purpose installer I borrowed the ... InnoSetup method of attaching data to the installer EXE and of setting the ... If you are gearing up for the longer term, you may want to go with MSI ...
  • Re: How to create One Setup Executable?
    ... I am using InnoSetup it is not MSI ... based installer but it is really good and free. ... base and any questions on the newsgroup are usually answered within hours. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)