Re: Opinions needed about the best "Middleware suite" kbmMW vs. RO\DA

From: Sol Brown (test_at_msn.com)
Date: 11/17/03

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:01:28 -0500

Hi Alessandro,

> > 2. I'm trying to figure out if those framework would give any boost to
> > performance for say an enviroment of about 20-30 users, since my app is
> > already using Chached Updates. (I guess the answer for that would be
"just
> > try it yourself", but its hard for me, since those users are not in my
> > personal network, they are just clients using my app)
>
> That probabily depends on on how you code your application and what
database
> you use more than anything else.
> I need more information to answer this question more precisely.

My question is just in "general", is there an overall performance benefit in
n-tier over chached updates.

> > 3. I'm making heavy use of identity fields of sql server, they serve as
my
> > primary field, would they get refreshed when record gets posted to the
> > server?.
>
> We have samples that show how that can be done in two ways.

Is it just a property?, again its just that I'm used to this with sdac.

> > 4[..] I would like to
> > know if there is an official implementation for this, as well as
> "Cascading
> > updates" like ado.net, and cascading delete, so if you delete a master
> > record it deletes all detail records, and of course when you apply the
> > updates to the database, it deletes first the detail records then the
> master
> > ones?
>
> I am not sure why you wouldn't want to have the posted in one transaction,

I don't think that I said so :), but anyway. So how does Master/Detail work
when the primary field of the Master table is an identity field, and I want
to send to the database the whole master/detail in one transaction?, my main
question is, how does the detail records get linked to the master record
before posting the master record to the database?. I could create a
temporary value like "-1" for the master primary id, and then OnNewRecord of
the detail I could set the default value for the foriegn id to "-1" and when
I'm posting the records and the master get its "real" ID, does it
automaticly update all detail records?, and of course does all this happen
in a single transaction?

> Our schemas allow you to set all that information and, in top of that, you
> can also use our Data Dictionary to share field attributes reused accross
> many datasets. For example, imagine you have an field called PhoneNum
which
> should have a DisplayLabel of "Phone Number" and it is used in 20
datasets.
> What you would do is create an attribute set in the Data Dictionary and
then
> associate that to the fields in the various Schema datasets.
> Our fields also support regular expressions.

So does this mean that you have to make an entry in the Data Dictionary for
each field in every table, and every time I use some sql -for a report or
lookup form- in order that I should'nt have to rewrite the attributes for
each field I need to select an entry of the Data Dictionary?, that sounds
like alot of pain, according what I have seen in one product for .NET from
compnentOne (I think they call DataObjects), they have something called
virtual tables, which eliminates all this hassle, you have to supply all
atrributes just once.

Regards,
Sol

> --
> Best regards,
> Alessandro Federici
>
> RemObjects Software, Inc.
> http://www.remobjects.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: At what point do database "transaction" become essential?
    ... The thing that even seasoned database professionals often forget about is that the scope of a transaction extends beyond the database. ... if you read a value from the database and display it on the screen then you now have two copies of that datum. ... Sadly, most database developers simply declare the db copy to be the master, assume that they will be lucky and bomb out the transaction if they discover that they are unlucky. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Get custom database properties from an Access database
    ... I could start a local copy only if the master is unavailable. ... If my database gets hosed, or even the entire machine stolen, it doesn't matter, it's only a snapshot of the actual data and can be rebuilt any time it's necessary. ... Dim wshShell ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Replication problems
    ... An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. ... DHCP server event log for more information on this error. ... browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{99B638B5-2C0B. ... master browser is stopping or an election is being forced. ...
  • RE: SQL Server failing to start (directly effecting sales!!!) Error: 823, Severity:
    ... You should consider calling Microsoft Technical Support as your master ... They will want your SQL Server Errorlogs ... that the machine with the database has hardware that is failing. ... Even if you are planning to reinstall you should make a backup copy ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: Table Normalization
    ... To master it requires a great deal more work. ... There are so many categories to work in (database design, queries, forms, ... that they'd flub a number of the answers, ... make the same mistake twice, and they don't let others make the same ...