Re: NEW RESULTS ...

Hi Danijel,

> Now FastMM4 is almost as fast as BucketMem, but it still requires 3 times
> as much memory.

I don't buy it. The minor performance difference is plausible, but not the
3x greater memory usage.

> releases memory to the OS when it's not being held by the application,
> which other 2 memory managers don't do (probably to increase performance).

Wrong assumption on your part. Both BucketMM and FastMM release memory back
to the OS when it is no longer used by the application. I don't know how you
measure memory usage, but if you were using the "Memory Usage" column in
task manager then you wasted your time. The correct column to use is the "VM
Size" column.

Regards,
Pierre

  • Re: NEW RESULTS ...
    ... > Now FastMM4 is almost as fast as BucketMem, but it still requires 3 times as much memory. ... Não tá morto quem luta e quem peleia. ...
  • Re: Memory Managers
    ... I also think that FastMM is an excellent replacement for the standard memory ... while BucketMem was comfortable with less than 90 MB. ... BucketMem uses about 50 buckets that each deliver memory blocks of a given ...
  • Re: Nexus VS FastMM4
    ... FastMM4 cannot install since memory has already been allocated through ... otherwise memory may be allocated through the default memory manager ... modifies the unit initialization order), ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.basm)
  • Re: Fastcode MM memory usage
    ... > I did have one memory leak that was causing some of the trouble. ... > close to what the RTL was using. ... > second one that took longer using FastMM4 than the RTL or BucketMem (0.80 ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.basm)
  • Re: Fastcode MM memory usage
    ... I did have one memory leak that was causing some of the trouble. ... After I fixed that the memory was freed properly at the end, so the usage got close to what the RTL was using. ... one of which had both FastMM4 and BucketMem taking more memory than the RTL at peak and a second one that took longer using FastMM4 than the RTL or BucketMem. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.basm)