Re: updated Delphi FastZlib 1.2.3

Hi Roberto,

Jedivcs is actually using (mostly) abbrevia for un-/compression
and I wanted to know if it could profit by using another
compression library.
So I compiled a comparision pdf which is available in the
jedi newsgroup: forums.talkto.net:jedi.binaries

It shows how the libraries compress and uncompress several
text files and actually compares abbrevia, uiUcl, FastLib and
a bzip2 library.

Compress ration: nearly as good as bzip2
Compress performance: 1st place
Uncompress performance: 1st place

really impressing, keep your good work!
Just curious if c sources are ready for *nix OS?

Regards
Thomas

  • Re: updated Delphi FastZlib 1.2.3
    ... I cant download your pdf from the server... ... Jedivcs is actually using abbrevia for un-/compression ... It shows how the libraries compress and uncompress several ...
  • Re: Poll: What additional software would you like to see for the HP 50G ?
    ... A library for compressing other libraries. ... is that not what "Kompression Aid" is doing already? ... shall be able to compress 128KB libraries too! ... sensible memory savings. ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)
  • Re: LINKLST into EXTENTS
    ... z/OS allocates the libraries so that if you do a legitimate compress it ... If you compress a library outside the bounds of what the ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: PDSE
    ... In theory and with proper planning, one should not need to compress active linklisted libraries, PDS or PDSE. ... The idea of application libraries in the linklist is not something I like, but they can certainly be dynamically added after IPL and removed, update/compress, re-added for maintenance. ... The system allocates LNKLST data sets for a reason -- so that you can't ... (where for compress "doing things right" means getting the data set ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: PDS Compress
    ... The compress typically takes much longer than than the user expects -- especially if the system is heavily loaded -- and sooner or later someone will attention-out with PA1 in the middle of a big compress or have someone else cancel their session, either of which is guaranteed to trash the PDS and get all sorts of unpredictable strangeness. ... If you allow such compresses, you need at the very least to train users to know that interrupting a PDS compress process with PA1 or having their session cancelled during a compress will trash the PDS, to call if they think they are hung and allow tech support to determine if they are really hung or still running the compress, and use HSM or some other means to auto back up such libraries when changed so when they do get trashed they are easier to restore and it's simpler to determine what recent updates have been lost. ... Wherever possible we always tried to use a batch sequence that would get exclusive control of the dataset for the duration of the job, rename it, allocate a new ds with original name, and compress by IEBCOPY of old to new - guaranteeing a most current backup if anything went wrong. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)