Re: Geographical Location Distance Tool

Hi Nils,

The former would be fine for me as it is just to give a rough indication of
distance and does not have to be completely accurate. Is there an ability
to obtain postcodes and equivalent x-y co-ordinates and an algorithm to
calculate linear distances?

Thanks

"Nils Haeck" <bla@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
If you would have a list of zip-codes + geographic location, then the only
thing you can do is calculate the linear distance between them. This is
definitely not the same as the distance over the road.

So if you want real distances (and estimation of time for travel), you'd
have to have a map database too, and algorithms to calculate the shortest
route, keeping in mind maximum speeds and such.

Nils

  • My OPE & the Euclicidean TSP
    ... A little while back I posted for a while on a creative algorithm I ... and the two travelers ... To make it easier to imagine let's say the nodes are cities, ... choosing them such that their physical distance ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • [SUMMARY] Shirt Reader (#140)
    ... All of the solutions used some variant of the Metaphone algorithm to match words ... It also uses the Levenshtein distance algorithm to see how far ... The expectations.rb file just fills a global Hash with some test cases. ... It works by applying the sound algorithm to each words then building ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Determine if a moving object will pass within range of point
    ... Here's the corrected algorithm (modified version of my earlier post, ... Let the radius of the earth RE = 3958 miles. ... Compute the great circle distance D in radians between IP and TP. ... intercept point is near the tangent of the intercept radius. ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Re: Data Structure Suggestions
    ... Pugh describes an algorithm for index ... assumes the existance of a "distance" field at each level in each node. ... Well, if I already have the position information, I ... deleting and inserting items effects subsequent nodes' ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: What I learned from Class Viewer
    ... displaced by such a trivially easy algorithm? ... by simply assuming that the weight is a distance between nodes ... while is not a valid circuit as a node is omitted. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)