Re: Delphi Classes/Pointers] Nil references causing problems.

From: Bruce Roberts (ber_at_bounceitattcanada.xnet)
Date: 11/18/03

    Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:42:50 -0500

    "Bjørge Sæther" <bjorge@hahaha_itte.no> wrote in message
    news:RKkub.39698$os2.580903@news2.e.nsc.no...

    > Messaging is a good choice if the notifications is about all cooperation
    > needed. If one is to perform operations on the attached objects, more
    direct
    > references would be handy. You need to maintain references no matter how,
    > else you can't know whether the message sender has any connection with
    you.
    > Using lists on both sides makes it all "symmetrical". Symmetry is a nice
    > thing.

    I don't think that a messaging model excludes the keeping of direct
    references. In fact in the situation cited I would envisage this. Messaging
    would simply be used to notify instances of instance creation and
    destruction. It would, IOW, operate much like the notification method of
    tComponent, without the registration overhead.

    Symmetry is nice, but I think it often adds a needles layer of complexity.
    ISTM that messaging makes a lot of sense if a significant percentage of the
    population is interested in any given individual's actions. OTH,
    registration may make more sense if any given individual is of interest to
    only one or two others, i.e. an insignificant percentage.

    What I really like about messaging is its simplicity and extensibility.