Re: problem to compile a single program...

From: Steve Lionel (Steve.Lionel_at_intel.com)
Date: 12/09/03

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:29:47 -0500

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:34:24 +0100, Richard Edgar <rge21@astro.su.se> wrote:

>Minor nitpick, but according to
><http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/flin/docs/ug/com_opts.htm>
>ifc does _not_ expect '.f95' files to be in Fortran (look under
>'translating other code'). IIRC, it just passes them to the linker
>instead......
>
>Members of the Intel compiler group were rather lucky they weren't in my
>vicinity when I discovered this :-(

And why did you think it should behave differently? Are you going to rename
your source files to have .f03 file types in the future?

In hindsight, the choice of .f90 to mean "free-form source" was a mistake, as
many took this to mean "conforms to Fortran 90", even though fixed-form source
can also be Fortran 90 conformant. Worse, it led some to think that they had
to change the file type when the standard was updated.

>From a survey I did a little while ago, few compilers understand .f95 as a
default file type. We're not going to add to this mess, but we will allow,
in 8.0, users to tell the compiler and the development environment that .f95
(or .xyzzy or whatever) file types are Fortran files, fixed or free form, if
they so choose.

Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation