Re: Is FORTRAN a dying language? (not a troll)

From: Paul Van Delst (paul.vandelst_at_noaa.gov)
Date: 05/10/04

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:30:23 -0400

Dr Chaos wrote:
> Paul Van Delst <paul.vandelst@noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>>Dr Chaos wrote:
>>
>>>But the engineer will probably know MATLAB, which can go to
>>>Fortran 95 reasonably easily, except for pointers.
>>
>>You know, I've seen this assertion made before. I reckon matlab code looks like C!
>

> Other than using () for array access like Fortran and unlike C, other
> than having block structured control structures with "end" like
> Fortran and unlike C, other than having array slice notation and
> concepts like Fortran, and unlike C, unlike distinguishing pointers
> from arrays, like Fortran and unlike C, and having implicit
> declarations of variables like Fortran unlike C, and having array
> intrinsics, like Fortran and unlike C, having no 'address of'
> operator, like Fortran and unlike C....
>
> I guess maybe.
>
> whoops, changed my mind. :)

Allright allright... I concede! :o) But what about that darn ";" you have to stick at the
end of most lines to stop the results from being printed? Argh - drives me nuts.

When I meant it looked like C I really meant that most of the matlab code I've seen has
looked as much like a dog's dinner as most of the C code I've seen. But maybe that hasn't
anything to do with the language - I've seen plenty of horrendous Fortran code too -- some
of it, I hesitate to admit, my own a number of years after writing it. :o(

cheers,

paulv

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Who uses clapack?
    ... > functions like SUM and MAXVAL and the ability to use array sections ... > drastically change the meaning of a Fortran code. ... >>Have you ever seen those bills for a Fortran compiler for an ... engineering applications in the C and C++ languages. ...
    (sci.math.num-analysis)
  • Re: Who uses clapack?
    ... > functions like SUM and MAXVAL and the ability to use array sections ... > drastically change the meaning of a Fortran code. ... >>Have you ever seen those bills for a Fortran compiler for an ... engineering applications in the C and C++ languages. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Benchmarking APL
    ... with that of FORTRAN. ... APL a 400% gain in programming efficiency could be obtained with only ... Another good-for-APL array problem, vector convolution, gave these ... Tomcatv, one of the SPEC benchmarks, is more typical of large array ...
    (comp.lang.apl)
  • Re: Attempting to allocate already allocated array?
    ... and I've written a good enough Python wrapper. ... If the python array is C contiguous (numpy arrays can be either Fortran or C contiguous under the hood, without you knowing it) you risk copying these arrays on entry to SUDA, just to get them on Fortran form. ... To do that I need to compare the SUDA (Special Uniques Detection Algorithm) approach, of which the unique itemset mining is a part, with an alternative. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Whats new in C?
    ... One advantage is that it is much easier to read in VLA form, ... This has been in Fortran since Fortran 66. ... allocation in Fortran until Fortran 90, ... an array of pointers and pass that. ...
    (comp.lang.c)