Re: Function PRESENT and logical combinations

From: Ron Shepard (ron-shepard_at_NOSPAM.comcast.net)
Date: 06/15/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:20:20 -0500

In article <2j7n9bFt4slrU1@uni-berlin.de>,
 Jan Vorbruggen <jvorbrueggen-not@mediasec.de> wrote:

> > I will state as a point of absolute truth and without qualifiacation
> > that the standard explicit says the value of a function reference
> > is determined by its execution.
>
> I haven't heard even (cough, cough) Richard Maine claim that this isn't
> so 8-). But the Talmudic arguments surely start with clarifying what the
> words "execution" and "determined" mean, and perhaps even what the word
> "its" means 8-).

There does seem to be some ambiguity in the above wording (which
comes from the standard). Some people interpret the above to mean
that the value of a function reference is determined *ONLY* by its
execution (e.g. by executing the compiled code). Others think it
means that any mechanism that returns the same value as its
execution would have returned is legal -- i.e., the execution is the
ultimate authority on the value, but any mechanism is allowed to
return that value (within the vagaries of floating point precision
and dependence on external devices such as timers). The latter
mechanism includes such things as inlining and other optimizations
(e.g. replacing fortran statements with hardware execution) that the
former would not allow.

I think I understand the controversy, but I see benefits to both
interpretations and I don't have an opinion on which would be best
in the long run.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Function PRESENT and logical combinations
    ... >> qualifiacation that the standard explicit says the value ... >> of a function reference is determined by its execution. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Function PRESENT and logical combinations
    ... > that the standard explicit says the value of a function reference ... > is determined by its execution. ... I haven't heard even (cough, cough) Richard Maine claim that this isn't ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: function : question on argument for output
    ... by its execution). ... I thought Richard Maine's argument was not how the function reference is determined, but that the result of any side effects are "processor dependent". ... where the inarg's and outarg's have intentsince they are derived types with pointer components ). ... And, even if it is called, that the contents of the side-effect-ed arguments are processor dependent? ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Function PRESENT and logical combinations
    ... The evaluation of a function reference shall neither ... execution of a function reference in the ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: setTimeout doesnt seem to fire.
    ... >> Is there any obvious reason why there's no delay in the execution of ... > 2) function reference like setTimeout ... > You have an expression so in order to prepare setTimeout call ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)