Re: Namelist usage

From: Dick Hendrickson (dick.hendrickson_at_att.net)
Date: 12/01/04

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:09:41 GMT

Rich Townsend wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've never got around to using namelists in my code, and I was wondering
> whether anybody who *does* use them -- and find them helpful -- could
> embark on a bit of advocacy in their favour. For instance, what sorts of
> tasks do namelists help you tackle? What sort of coding idioms do you
> employ with namelists?

Two major uses that I can think of where it works out well.
1) Debugging or status printouts during a program run.
Doing a NAMELIST output gives name=value lists (obviously)
which I think are easier to read than just value lists.
Especially during debugging where you probably don't know
what is going on anyhow.

2) Managing code which has a large set of adjustable
parameters. I used to see people do things like
       namelist /parameters/ a,b,c...
       data a /137/
       data b /42/
       read(input_file, parameters)
       write (history_file, parameters)

That way, the user only has to put in the values he wants
to change, everything else keeps the values from the DATA
statements. The history_file gets the complete set for
later checking or whatever.

Dick Hendrickson
> cheers,
>
> Rich

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Namelist usage
    ... Rich Townsend wrote: ... > I've never got around to using namelists in my code, ... Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org ... Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Namelist usage
    ... Rich Townsend wrote: ... > I've never got around to using namelists in my code, ... When I advance beyond the testbed stage and need a specialized HLL (high ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Ten Commandments (On Topic!)
    ... >>parsers is much more complicated compared to using NAMELISTs. ... input file since that is where it is very useful. ... allows creation of lists that contain variable names that are ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)