Fortran compilers for multi-core chips

beliavsky_at_aol.com
Date: 12/08/04

Date: 8 Dec 2004 06:07:31 -0800

A Wall Street Journal article (page B8, Dec 8 2004) says that Intel
aims for a tenfold boost in chip performance by 2008 by using dual and
multi-core chips. An article from EWeek is at
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1737050,00.asp .

Will current Windows and Linux Fortran 95 compilers from vendors like
Intel, Absoft, and Lahey/Fujitsu be able to exploit the new chips, or
will one need to buy new versions of them?

Will Fortran programs need to be written differently to maximize speed?
I have heard of terms like OpenMP and MPI but am not knowledgable about
them. What is a good book on small-scale parallel programming for
Fortran programmers?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fortran compilers for multi-core chips
    ... > multi-core chips. ... An article from EWeek is at ... > Will Fortran programs need to be written differently to maximize speed? ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Would buying a Core Mac be worth it?
    ... Windows won't be common until Vista ships. ... that is a niche market until x86-64 Windows arrives. ... Since Apple writes its ... and instead focused on mass market low-power chips. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: I need a data transfer cable for Windows 7 64-bit
    ... new Windows 7 64-bit PC. ... to make Prolific and a couple other chips, ... Ethernet or wireless file sharing, are other ways to share files from one ... Direct Ethernet connection between computers can use ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: USB to RS232 converter?
    ... The problem is that Prolific is the second largest manufacturer ... chips, which manufacturers of adapters using them provide to their customers. ... the copies and their drivers no longer support the copies. ... So if you are using Windows XP or VISTA, you can use the official Prolific ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: PC Shopping: How do I tell if a PC is VT-capable (MS Virtualization)?
    ... Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging ... I could print out a list of VT-compatible Intel chips and the ... publisher of the Daily Mail ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)