Re: Write a Fortran program to solve Sudoku puzzles :-)

"AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Interesting, Michael. What technique (e.g. Tabu, simulated annealing,
> partial enumerative, ...?) does your algorithm use to solve it, and
> what decision rules do you use to get the algorithm to give up looking
> for multiple solutions?

I apply various logic solving algorithms, for instance 'pairs', and resort
to brute force if the logic rules prove insufficient. Brute force stops as
soon as it finds a second solution (hardly counts as a decision rule - going
on is simply uninteresting). For a human solver, brute force is equivalent
to having to guess (Thread of Ariadne). The line between the two is fuzzy,
depending on how many algorithms you're willing to code and apply (X-wing,
swordfish, jellyfish etc.), just as a human solver may guess rather than
apply such techniques.

I'm planning to write an article for Fortran Forum on this.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

  • Re: Write a Fortran program to solve Sudoku puzzles :-)
    ... what decision rules do you use to get the algorithm to give up looking ... for multiple solutions? ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: ratio approximation algorithm
    ... I'm looking for an algorithm other than brute force that ... >> will speed up the searching process. ... I'd be surprised if Monte Carlo failed to suit your needs. ... a pure brute force approach took 0.37 seconds on my laptop (1.8GHz ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Bonehead basic crypto question
    ... Even if 256-bit is broken by brute force using quantum computers ... as is secure should be used. ... People might like to say "even if an algorithm is ... be conservative) and focus on eliminating shortcut attacks. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Solving k^m = q mod N
    ... may have changed human history in a rather big way. ... Let us now consider your algorithm. ... You can do it in your code by using the Java maths ... To be historically significant therefore your brute force algorithm ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Solving k^m = q mod N
    ... otherwise can only be done by brute force. ... posters appear to be taking my algorithm far too seriously. ... reason in his head that it is. ... I made by response on the basis of the evidence. ...
    (sci.math)