yet another QUERRY on EQUIVALENCE Re: EQUIVALENCE(variable inside module, variable outside module) ????

As this discussion is evolving, here is yet another simple question
with our "old friend" equivalence which is NOT related with module
(this time). I try this one:

program equiv_test

real :: a(4),b(2),c,d
equivalence (a(1:2),b),(a(3),c),(a(4),d)
..
..
..
end program equiv_test

And I got this error message when compiling it using CVF6.6.

C:\TEST\equivalence\equivalence.f(2) : Error: This operator is invalid
in a constant expression evaluation.
equivalence (a(1:2),b),(a(3),c),(a(4),d)

Any suggestion to resolve the problem???

Kind help is appreciated

Irfan

Richard E Maine wrote:
> [...]
> procedure can't equivalence to a variable host-associated from the main
> program - if you try to, you'll find that you accidentally created an
> implicitly typed variable local to the internal procedure (unlesss, of
> course, you have implicit none, in which case it should fail
> compilation). The restriction of equivalence to be local is historically
> quite strong, even extending to a prohibition against equivalence
> involving dummy arguments. The dummy argument thing has beeen discussed
> here before. There is no compelling reason that I know of why
> equivalence couldn't be used with dummy arguments (given some obvious
> restrictions), but historically, it hasn't been.
>
> 2. There is a broad principle that all the properties of a module entity
> are defined in the module. You can't USE the module and then specify
> additional things about the module entities in the place where you USE
> it. There are a small number of special-case exceptions, and they
> basically amount to attributes that aren't really about the original
> entity, but are addditional restrictions on its use. Equivalence doesn't
> fall in that category.
>
> Note that if equivalence to module variables was allowed outside of the
> module, there would have top be a bunch of restrictions for it to make
> any sense at all. Notably, you can't expect to be able to equivalence a
> module variable to another module variable (in the same or different
> module) or anything in common. Both of those things would inherently
> involve specifying things about where the module variable was stored;
> USEing scoping units don't get to specify that about things that they
> use.
>
> Thus, you'd need several new restrictions to make such a thing work at
> all. I don't think that the general mood was to spend a lot of work
> extending equivalence in f90 when modules were introduced. Heck, teh
> required conditions are probably similar to those that would have beeen
> needed for equivaleence to dummy arguments. If equivalence to dummy
> arguments wasn't allowed before, why would the committee have gone out
> of its way to allow equivalence with module variables, which has some of
> the same kind of issues? Certainly it could have been done (I think),
> but I don't think that extensions to equivalence were high on the
> priority list. Phasing out equivalence was much higher on the priority
> list of some people, but that was controversial and never got into a
> published standard; you can see signs of it, however, in pointed
> omisssions in "obvious" opportunities to extend equivalence into some
> new features.
>
> --
> Richard Maine | Good judgment comes from experience;
> email: my first.last at org.domain| experience comes from bad judgment.
> org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain

  • Re: EQUIVALENCE(variable inside module, variable outside module) ????
    ... > between MODULE, COMMON, and EQUIVALENCE, could you please ... The situation with common is really quite simple, ... The variables in the common block may be ... compiler leeway for optimizations that would otherwise be hindered. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Subroutine Argument Checking
    ... > there's no way provided by the language to get subroutine argument ... I am not sure which ones you mean, but many types of COMMON block ... COMMON and EQUIVALENCE are pretty closely connected ... > compiler can't generally do it, because it doesn't get to see the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Fortran Standard question: COMMON, SAVE and EQUIVALENCE
    ... Dick Hendrickson wrote: ... equivalenced to an object in a common block. ... about how they propagate in an equivalence. ... We can remove BIND and PROTECTED from the list. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Fortran Standard question: COMMON, SAVE and EQUIVALENCE
    ... Tobias Burnus wrote: ... equivalenced to an object in a common block. ... about how they propagate in an equivalence. ... sound like trouble are SAVE, ASYNCHRONOUS, VOLATILE, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Conformance question involving equivalence
    ... > isn't in a common block. ... A name is in a common statement, ... But I agree that many of the complications of EQUIVALENCE ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)