Re: high-precision type

In article <WAKnf.5384$w7.1864@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Charles Russell <SPAMworFREEwor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>> Herman D. Knoble wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is that most compilers do not support QP.
>>
>> Well, the problem is that most hardware does not support it,
>> and compiler writers use what the hardware supplies.
>
> Any prospect of this feature appearing in cheap PC hardware in the near
> future? Or of software emulation in gfortran or g95?

gfortran has real(kind=4,8,10,16), which are single, double,
entended, quad precision. But, there must be native hardware
support for the various kinds. On my amd64 FreeBSD system,
I get kind=4, 8, and 10. On an HPUX system, I've seen reports
that all 4 kinds are available.

I doubt that gfortran will have software implementations anytime
soon. Although it's possible to use GMP/MPFR, it would be extremely
slow.

If you need quad precision, check out Alan Miller's big pond.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

  • Re: %LOC and %VAL availability
    ... Intel Fortran and Compaq Fortran compilers that I have (32-bit, ... See the gfortran documentation for information concerning its ... As others have pointed out before, using the C binding support is the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: f2003 compilers?
    ... is compilers that are said to have "most" of 2003. ... nagfor v5.2, Intel's ifort v11.1, and GCC's gfortran v4.5 support a lot, ... but still there are many features unimplemented. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: "Double Precison" Keywords?
    ... I'm trying to make the code compile with gfortran, ... gfortran doesn't like "real". ... IBM S/370 and successors support 128 bit ... assume that the hardware supports it, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Segmentation fault
    ... thus required to have an explicit interface. ... I suspect squid is running an older version of gfortran. ... Early f95 compilers did not ... most compilers, including gfortran, do support it. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: "Double Precison" Keywords?
    ... |> gfortran supports since a long time kind=16 when running on hardware ... | in hardware. ... | software emulation by the OS to support it. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)