David Flower wrote:
> James Giles wrote:
>>    NINT(Y) = FLOOR(Y+0.5)
>>
>> That's simpler and easier to verify.
>
> Bot flooor is not valid F66!
>
> How about:
>
> NINT(Y) = Y + SIGN(0.5,Y)
>
> which is.

That has the problem I'd prefer to avoid:
it changes the statistical properties of my
histograms in the neighborhood of zero.
I'd rather write it using FLOOR even if I
also have to write FLOOR as well.

--
J. Giles

that there are no obvious deficiencies."   --  C. A. R. Hoare

  • Re: Kind of NOT integer constant
    ... > James Giles wrote: ... >> The data type is INTEGER, ... leaves the leftmost bit set is processor-dependent. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Numeric leak
    ... > James Giles wrote: ... > (snip regarding list directed output formatting) ... >> I think the problem should be addressed in the standard by ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: F2k3 Environment Variable Support
    ... > James Giles wrote: ... I don't think the keys are a large price to par ... The parent must receive those changes (perhaps ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Dirty numbers (was: compilation problem with module function interface definition)
    ... > James Giles wrote: ... And what is mathematically correct is *seldom* ... a short decimal string. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Pi.
    ... > James Giles wrote: ... >>> can be elided for the convenience of the compiler as opposed to ... All the more reason not to change them *after* you've double-checked ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)