Re: Fortran array optimizations

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:31:48 -0800, Beliavsky wrote
(in article <1168277508.315033.86550@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>):

Richard Maine wrote:

Well, 1/y is not valid syntax at all if y is an array.

Why? If y a real vector of length N, isn't 1/y the same? A scalar is
conformable with an array.

Oops. Of course, you are right. I guess I was just in the mode of thinking
about matrix operations instead of array ones. I'm not used to seeing
expressions like scalar/array, while I see (and use) scalar*array all the
time. Both are equally valid, but the unfamiliar-looking one sent me off in
the wrong direction.

org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain