Re: Looking for a good Fortran 90/95 text for beginners

Mark Westwood wrote:

Yar

Steal a copy of Fortran 90 Programming by Ellis, Philips and Lahey, or,
if your commitment to freedom of information doesn't extend to theft,
Google around, you'll find useful sites like this:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/HPC/F90page.html

Ignore all advice to learn FORTRAN77 from free sources.

Since FORTRAN 77 is a subset and everything save for one or two things is in Fortran 90, it is a useful source of information. I would advocate a modern style, modern features, etc., but he asked for a free book and that's the only one I'm aware of.

Regards

Mark

yair999@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Free if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Yair

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott@sbcglobal dot net

***** 5 Jan: Back from 7 days in Cozumel! *****

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford

  • Re: In the Shallow End
    ... Let Fortran do what it was designed for. ... Other languages have to add in support for the reporting of the loss of computational accuracy. ... Restarting X while an app is running won't affect that run results. ... So you think, but it was the name 'Cube' that got Apple into trouble, not the design. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: IVF vs CVF
    ... I would paraphrase part of it as: Microsoft didn't accept ... > Fortran for a lower price than CVF. ... > necessity for a commercial compiler. ... High quality compiler, good support, free email support within ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Form k = i + j and test for overflow.
    ... IBM once made a change in VS Fortran that meant you could no longer initialize integers with the max negative 32-bit integer value commonly used to set a specific bit pattern for binary flag values. ... At first they refused to change it back claiming it was fully standard compliant, but after about 6 months of my first complaint, they released an update that put it back the "correct" way. ... Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org ... Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Arent the fuddy-duddies in the group going to comment on Fortress
    ... Do away with some of the legacy support mentioned above, ... either as part of the language ... Fortran without destroying the look and feel of the language then ... The link you gave discusses the conversion of the CLOUDY astrophysics code from Fortran to C. Contrary to the impression that your post might give, Fortran use is alive and well in the astrophysics community, not just in terms of legacy code, but also for new codes. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: When will this ng come to accept that Fortran needs to go "back to the future" ?
    ... I personnally think that that is a silly reason to avoid common blocks. ... Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com ... Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org ... Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)