I need some guideance regarding parallel processing

Hey Folks,

I am involved in a large image processing project at work. I am using
Lahey FORTRAN v6.2 pro on linux (I have 6 machines for sure and
possibly a whole lab full of diskless clients awaiting).

I'll be looping through large arrays (~36000000 by >6), basically
comparing each element with ALL other elements in the array. Initial
runs suggest it will take about 600 days to complete (a large part of
this is due to my programming; I'm working on optimizing the code)...

Regardless of my programming skills, I need some guidance on what type
of distributed system I should implement. In a previous post on this
list, I was turned on to openMP. But I am open to learning MPI, PVM,
etc if that will facilitate getting the job done.

I guess my question to you folks working with large datasets is:
1) What standard have you implemented to network machines together?
2) What message passing standard do you use?
3) Other than 'turn back now', do you have any other guidance to how I
should set up the cluster?

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for your time.
Tripp
GIS Lab Manager
The Univ. of GA
WSFNR

  • Re: I need some guideance regarding parallel processing
    ... Regardless of my programming skills, I need some guidance on what type ... I guess my question to you folks working with large datasets is: ... What message passing standard do you use? ... Other than 'turn back now', do you have any other guidance to how I ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Visited the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park today. A must see!!!!
    ... More than 100 machines (at least 75 of them were classic EMs) were set up for free play. ... We spent a lot of time talking with the folks working there and they were very knowledgeable and were even willing to talk to us about issues and show us some of their favorites. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Visited the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park today. A must see!!!!
    ... More than 100 machines were set up for free play. ... We spent a lot of time talking with the folks working there and they were very knowledgeable and were even willing to talk to us about issues and show us some of their favorites. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Visited the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park today. A must see!!!!
    ... More than 100 machines were set up for free play. ... We spent a lot of time talking with the folks working there and they were very knowledgeable and were even willing to talk to us about issues and show us some of their favorites. ... I plan to visit the Museum that week. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • remote access
    ... I have a few machines in the house - all running XP Home. ... I also read that XP has the capability built in. ... anyone give me some guidance regarding setting this up? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)