Re: Integer Coersion

James Giles <jamesgiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gary Scott wrote:
Brooks Moses wrote:
G77 used INTEGER(1) to mean the default integer, INTEGER(2) as
something occupying twice the space, INTEGER(5) as something
occupying half the space, and INTEGER(7) as the system pointer type.

There are lots of hair brained possibilities. Wish they had been
somewhat standardized from the beginning.

I wish they hadn't been integers from the beginning (or at
any intermediate time)....

I agree. This is much like my position on unit numbers. We have numeric
units for historical reasons and transition of something like that can
be tricky. Numeric kinds is something we inflicted on ourselves
relatively recently.

--
Richard Maine | Good judgement comes from experience;
domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

  • Re: Integer Coersion
    ... something occupying twice the space, ... and INTEGERas the system pointer type. ... Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org ... Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Integer Coersion
    ... Gary Scott wrote: ... something occupying twice the space, ... and INTEGERas the system pointer type. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)