Re: Error in decimal places?

In article <1htbhms.o2szv61m67qy4N%nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richard Maine) writes:

Charles Russell <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Back in the sixties, fortran was touted as "natural language" for
scientists and mathematicians. And it was, more or less.

If you are seriously suggesting, as seems to be implied, that people
won't have to learn the rules of the language, but can just write
"naturally" and all will work out, then... well...

I think "natural" was only true compared to the time before Fortran,
i.e. when programming was done directly in hex (not assembler, hex).
Programmers would sit at the end of a long table and pull the endless
paper slowly pass their eyes. Compared to THAT, of course, Fortran (or
FORTRAN) was a "natural language".

  • Re: Happy 7-8-9!
    ... symbol for a blank space - kind of a small b with a slash thru it. ... incarnations - usually with the year of it's coming into use, as in FORTRAN ... major language used for business programming - think Point of Sales - was ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.needlework)
  • Re: A petition to J3 apropos FORTRANs future
    ... >> web programming, GUI development, and text analysis. ... >> may partially explain the small market share of Fortran. ... almost NO new code would be written in the language. ... time on the types of codes that scientists and engineers want and need to ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: interpretive vs. compiled
    ... for specific needs in FORTRAN. ... Nowadays, workstations are also available to engineers, and there's no ... Excel/VBA and much less exposure to programming. ... colleges are wondering what language to use in classes. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Why C Is Not My Favourite Programming Language
    ... "introduces" classes problems when compared against programming ... | - Fortran 66, Fortran G, Fortran H ... An interesting language, but I will need to refer to my dusty manual ... | - APL ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Why C Is Not My Favourite Programming Language
    ... "introduces" classes problems when compared against programming ... | - Fortran 66, Fortran G, Fortran H ... An interesting language, but I will need to refer to my dusty manual ... | - APL ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)