Re: http or tcp/ip

<gary.l.scott@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1174074976.620394.121280@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mar 16, 1:41 pm, "allelopath" <jda...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can Fortran use http or tcp/ip?
I see previous discussions like this
one:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.fortran/browse_thread/thread...
which indicate the best way is to write it in C and wrap it up for
Fortran.
These discussions, though, are 4 years old. I was wondering if
anything has changed since then.

I need to communicate between Java and Fortran.
My current plan have the Java program execute the fortran program and
have the fortran write to plain text files and use a semaphore.

You can always do it through OS API calls (in any language that can
call the OS API). I believe I recall that David Frank does some FTP
and/or HTTP stuff from Fortran. Maybe he has a publically available
library (likely for CVF or IVF).

Ok, I have uploaded to my current ISP a pertinent example of what can be
done DIRECTLY using Fortran syntax.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dave_gemini/getfile.f90

and a exe of above....

http://home.earthlink.net/~dave_gemini/getfile.exe

which can read most any file out there..

  • Re: Why C?
    ... The API results in C code that is not easy to follow. ... automatic conversion and negligible help in the Visual C++ 6.0 compiler. ... So, for code longevity, simple charactre prompts, using Fortran, seems to be ... C++, then Java (less so, for direct hardware access), then C# (again, less ...
    (comp.compilers.lcc)
  • OO Definitions
    ... By this definition, Fortran 95 is an Object Oriented language, however ... member functions and data may be), and classes are not objects, but are ... "API" user. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Can Fortran be used with DirectX to make games for Windows?
    ... live action capabilities. ... Fortran is  not the Tool for the type of job can you have in your ... Rather than calling a specific or proprietary API, ... It has minimal impact on performance with todays graphics boards. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: How do you use modern MS Windows GUIs (eg. ActiveX, .Net, Qt ...) with Modula2?
    ... There's numerous nice builder packages for Fortran also with some even having platform independent APIs. ... One I'm thinking of that is platform independent uses either the Windows GDI or OPENGL, you get to choose without changing the application call interface (same app-level API to call either GDI or OPENGL for graphics). ... Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html ...
    (comp.lang.modula2)
  • Re: I/O in PURE and ELEMENTAL procedures in Fortran 2008
    ... many other purposes such as system programming, interfacing with OS ... I do not advocate a Fortran language which forces me to write ... many of them are written in C (or the API is written for C) which has ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)