Re: http or tcp/ip

Gary Scott wrote:
Curious, will all of the $DEC instructions go away with an F2k3 compiler (i.e. does BIND(C) + passby +... cover everything necessary?)

It seems to me that if there are system-specific things which don't, a good place for a F2k3 compiler to put them would be as extensions to the BIND() syntax -- e.g., something like BIND(C, CONVENTION="STDCALL"), or for that matter BIND(STDCALL), since the "C" of BIND(C) is effectively a name for a calling convention.

This does mean that the program is no longer standard-conforming, unlike the !DEC$ attributes which hide in comments on compilers that don't support them, but I'm not convinced that's a bad thing; in most cases the program is inherently system-specific anyway, and the directives are critical to its meaning, so it's likely better to get a clear compiler error that effectively says "this directive isn't supported".

- Brooks

  • Re: how do you start learning assembly language
    ... compiler technology for decades, and which every compiler author have ... And I have refuted your claim that monofiles are bad idea or "design lack" ... Yes, I said that if an assembler did not support linking, it ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • ANN: Chicken 2.0
    ... - The compiler is able to inline more procedure calls ... - The alternative continuation API described in Marc Feeley's paper ... Hash-tables support now user-defined hash functions ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)
  • Re: Lint
    ... There are many versions of lint out there from "free" to expensive. ... Free, as in open source, will often take time to get full use of - and it may have hidden "costs" (such as license or support issues). ... Secondly, C compilers do much better static error checking than they used to as a side effect of better optimisation - while figuring out things like aliasing, variable lifetimes, and ideal memory organisation, a compiler can often spot buffer overflows and other such errors. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: made it to page 4 of gforth tutorial
    ... you the facts over and over and your coming back saying it was ... So let's review again. ... 2DROP as if an optimizing compiler was going to turn the ... it would have professional support. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • CMUCL 19f released
    ... The CMUCL project is pleased to announce the release of CMUCL 19f. ... SSE2 support added for x86. ... Compiler can now derive the rank of an array, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)