Re: declaring variables in the code

With such large subroutines you need an editor that can split the sreen to
allow you to edit two portions of the same file at once. This is a basic
feature of any "programmer's" editor.

Yup, but still a pain. Variables should be declared "just in time"
to be used. You can even declare new variables inside C code
when you create a "block - { }" of code. Fortran needs this feature
in order to be viable for the long term. Of course, I must admit
that we may convert our F77 code to C++ someday for many
other reasons.

There are lots of other reasons to justify chopping up such large routines.

We've got 3500 subroutines right now. Where should I start ?
This is a working, commercially sold software program. You dont
make subroutine breakups lightly.

Lynn

  • Python Windows release and encoding
    ... his code from the editor by using a menu. ... He doesn't declare any encoding in his source file; ... when running his file from the Windows editor. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Scottish referendum - discuss here
    ... eventually to abolishing the mediaeval irrelevance of a monarchy ... and declare a republic. ... A new editor must be found. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • health reform query ...
    ... does it add up to much more than compelling a bunch of uninsured 20-somethings to buy insurance, on pain of tax punishment? ... I do not think the United States would come to an end if ... we lost our power to declare an Act of Congress void. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: how to report which specific variable is uninitialized
    ... That requires you to declare your variables ... Yes, I am using strict. ... defined ($var) or warn "var is undefined"; ... is difficult/a pain in my case. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Is there a way to do this in the IDE?
    ... In Visual basic, once you declare a variable, you can type it ... in later in your code and the editor will automatically change the ... but I don't see the benefit of it since Delphi is not case sensitive. ...