Re: Unsigned Integers and Fortran

"Dan Nagle" <dannagle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:70dgi.2383$YS.13@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

robin wrote:
"glen herrmannsfeldt" <gah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5OudncHYvqP3ux3bnZ2dnUVZ_oernZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In Fortran, one might read in data as integers of the
SELECTED_INT_KIND(2),

Not guaranteed to give a byte.

CHARACTER of length 1 is the best bet.

Not guaranteed to give a byte.

It has, for longer and on more systems than SELECTED_INT_KIND(2).

To be sure, some computers had only words. Most are long since gone.
The PC predominates.

  • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
    ... I think you're using "ASCII" in a notional sense. ... a good reason to teach the *opposite* convention, ... Computers should be as easy to understand as is possible _without_ ... arithmetic on character strings ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Red Robin, Red Robin...
    ... standing with Batman and family inthe Final Crisis? ... well as beating the snot out of Robin. ... I wasn't really around comics when Jason Todd was first ... character that doesn't learn from his mistakes and become a better ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)
  • Re: If there never was a Crisis on Infinte Earths
    ... the same age in 1975 he was in 1934. ... will not be changed about the character, ... Certainly no one's claiming Dick Grayson wasn't Robin or that very ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)
  • Re: Securing a Folder
    ... Would a 15 digit number be less secure than a 15 digit phrase. ... character password). ... might be reduced to less than three days (assuming computers will double ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Robin: The Salad Days Are Back!
    ... Gail Simone on WW and now this! ... Love Dixon's Batman as a solo-type character. ... His Robin was little more than a driven kid-ninja who talked a good game ... If the AIRBOY relaunch were being done by anyone but Moonstone, ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)