Re: On writing negative zero - with or without sign

James Giles writes:

Gordon Sande wrote:

Suppose someone likes them and chooses not to ignore them, [...]

"Likes them"? Why would any choose on that basis? The
signs have meaning or they don't. The interpretation of them is
up to the user. The user decides for utilitatian reasons. The
utility of the signs *cannot* be known by the author of the
I/O library. The I/O library should *never* disregard them.

In which case the I/O library had better get them right. But in
your temperature example, there's a fifty percent chance of getting
it wrong.

  • Re: On writing negative zero - with or without sign
    ... signs have meaning or they don't. ... The interpretation of them is ... The user decides for utilitatian reasons. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: On writing negative zero - with or without sign
    ... signs have meaning or they don't. ... The interpretation of them is ... The user decides for utilitatian reasons. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: On writing negative zero - with or without sign
    ... signs have meaning or they don't. ... The interpretation of them is ... The user decides for utilitatian reasons. ... It's the processor's misdirection, if it displays a sign on the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)