Re: On writing negative zero - with or without sign

tholen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It's the processor's misdirection, if it displays a sign on the
zero, not mine. You repeatedly ignoring the fifty percent
probability of the processor getting it wrong helps your cause
none at all.

Sigh... I've answered this too many times. I ignored nothing.
I was the first that stated the sign on the output of that *particular*
example was irrelevant. But, the sign is present like it or not.
No sign means the same as a plus sign. I don't care whether
you agree - it's the truth. There are only two possibilities:
plus zero of minus zero. There is no third choice. There's
not going to be a third choice. Get used to it. It's a fact of
computing.

Nor is this example even remotely relevant the the question
of what the I/O library should do with the sign of zero. The I/O
library *must* output all it knows. That includes a correct
indication of the sign of the value being printed. This is a
very simple concept: the I/O library can't discern the meaning
of the value or whether the sign is meaningful or not. I don't
see how anyone can fail to grasp such a simple concept.

What rule for magically discovering whether the sign has
meaning or not do you propose? Give specifics. Since you
have repeatedly asked "what if the user doesn't know if the
sign is meaningful or not?", your magical decision making
method can't rely on user input. If the user doesn't know
when reading the output, (s)he can't know at compile time
either. Unless you're planning to *always* supress the
zero? Ok, but no one will think your method is in the least
useful. You'll be disregarded entirely (and correctly
so).

--
J. Giles

that there are no obvious deficiencies." -- C. A. R. Hoare

  • Re: Pi = 3
    ... Or add a punctuation mark like ",", but meaning "significance ... Or an explicit "how many significant figures" notation. ... what I mean by the overloading of zero as meaning "zero" as well as meaning ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: OT: Questions about Set Theory
    ... "such as a subset of items in the above set with the "feature" of being ... "in terms of the original example the solution is zero, 0, or even as ... because the meaning is exactly the same ...0 elements! ... the empty set and the second is a set with one element ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: OT: Questions about Set Theory
    ... "such as a subset of items in the above set with the "feature" of being ... "in terms of the original example the solution is zero, 0, or even as ... because the meaning is exactly the same ...0 elements! ... the empty set and the second is a set with one element ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Weierstrass
    ... > Isn't the mathematical meaning: Zero is included as well as ... How would that be the meaning? ... > real, not just for zero. ... > and excluded do contradict in mathematics too, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: The Psychology of Responding to Crackpots
    ... >>return value comes from an infinite set of possible values, ... Statements like awesomely stupid are nothing at all ... All that is required is that the meaning of the reply be ... It could be as simple as one and zero. ...
    (sci.logic)