Re: g77 on Cygwin

In article <1i4gfdq.132ed394jiel3N%nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richard Maine) writes:
Steven G. Kargl <kargl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

PS: I believe your above statement is influenced by your friendship
with Andy through J3.

Andy was never on J3. If I recall correctly, I saw him at a J3 meeting
as a guest exactly one time. I suppose I might possibly have miscounted
by one. I have subsequently met him for lunch exactly once at an
occasion having nothing to do with J3. A plan to meet again this year
fell through. I do consider him a friend, though I can't say I know him
well enough to be a very close one.

On the other hand, one of the people heavily involved with GFortran was
a member of J3 and attended regularly for quite a few years.

Who? If it is Toon, he has directly contributed nearly nothing to gfortran.

None of the ones that I consider friends
have a tendency to badmouth their competition.

Sigh, I'm not badmouthing g95. Simply stating the facts. gfortran,
*in general*, out performs g95. I'll freely admit on platforms that
Intel and PathScale support, those compilers *in general* out perform
gfortran. Unfortunately, Intel and Intel are limted to a few OS's, and
neither is available for free or pay on the OS I use. In fact, there
is NO fortran compiler that out performs gfortran on the OS I use.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

  • Re: oldbie -- format help
    ... Perhaps you can e-mail Andy to see if he would implement an option like ... this in g95 ... The OP said "I am compiling some code with gfortran". ... extension in g95 when the OP explicitly stated that ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Anyone running Linux and XLF on a PowerMac G5?
    ... same computer or xlf on PowerMac vs. gfortran on a Intel/AMD system? ... If I look on my AMD at my polyhedron benchmarks, I see only a performance difference of 6% to Intel's 11.1 compiler - and if I use Intel's math library (IMF) it shrinks to less than a per cent. ... Pathscale seems to be another 2% faster than Intel, i.e. 8% in total (when using the standard GLIBC). ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: g77 efficiency
    ... In the 2004 Fortran 77 Polyhedron Benchmarkshttp://www.polyhedron.com/pb04/linux/f77bench_p4.html, on Intel ... which uses an older gfortran.) ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Array size problem
    ... : end program bug ... : $ gfortran --version ... I am hesitant to blame the compiler because I got a ... error, fixed the problem on Intel, but did not for gfortran. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Array size problem
    ... end program bug ... $ gfortran --version ... error, fixed the problem on Intel, but did not for gfortran. ... I have previously gotten error messages when exceeding the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)